Obesity – Symptoms, Causes and Treatments | My life
- 1 What is Obesity?
- 2 Obesity Diagnosis
- 3 Treatment of Obesity
- 4 Drugs for Obesity
- 5 possible complications
- 6 Living / Prognosis
What is Obesity?
Obesity is the accumulation of fat in the body usually caused by excessive consumption of calories in food, higher than the value used by the body for maintaining and carrying out the activities of everyday life. In other words, obesity occurs when food intake is greater than the corresponding energy expenditure.ADVERTISING
Excess fat can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea and stroke. Because of the risk involved, it is good that you lose weight even if you are not feeling bad now. It's hard to change your eating habits and exercise. But if you plan, you can achieve.
When you eat more calories than you expend, you gain weight. What you eat and the activities you do throughout the day influence it. If your family members are obese, you are more likely to be too. In addition, the family also helps in the formation of eating habits. The busy life also makes it difficult to plan meals and make healthy feeds. For many it is easier to buy ready-made food and eating out. There is no short-term solutions to obesity. The secret to losing weight is to eat fewer calories than you spend.DO NOT STOP NOW ... YOU ARE AFTER THAT ADVERTISING;)
Diagnosis and Examinations
Obesity is determined by body mass index (BMI) which is calculated by dividing weight (in kg) by height squared (meters). The result reveals that the ideal weight is within the range below or above the desired - revealing overweight or obesity.
- Less than 18.5 Underweight
- Between 18.5 and 24.9 - Normal Weight
- Between 25 and 29.9 - Overweight (above the desired weight)
- Equal to or above 30 - Obesity.
- BMI = weight (kg) / height (m) x height (m)
- Example: John is 83 kg, and its height is 1.75 m
- Height = height x 1.75 x 1.75 = 3.0625
- BMI = 83 divided by 3.0625 = 27.10
- The result of BMI 27.10 indicates that John is above the desired weight (overweight).
Treatment and Care
Treatment of Obesity
Since obesity is caused by an energy intake that exceeds the expense of the body, the simplest form of treatment is to adopt a healthier lifestyle, less calorie intake and increasing physical activity. This change not only causes weight reduction and reversal of obesity, and facilitates the maintenance of healthy frame.
The use of medicines contributes modestly and temporarily in the case of obesity, and should never be used as the only form of treatment. Much of the used substances act in the brain and can cause serious side effects, such as nervousness, insomnia, increased blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, dry mouth and stuck intestine. One of the most worrying risk of obesity for remedies is to become dependent. Therefore, the drug treatment of obesity should be followed strictly and limited to certain types of patients.
People with morbid obesity and comorbidities such as diabetes and hypertension, may choose to make the stomach reduction surgery to control weight and get out of obesity. There are four different techniques of bariatric surgery for obesity recognized by the Federal Council of Medicine (CFM): Adjustable Gastric Banding, Vertical Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass and Bypass Bileopancreática. The choice of surgery depends on the patient's condition, the degree of obesity and related diseases.
Drugs for Obesity
Some of the most commonly used drugs for the treatment of symptoms and problems related to obesity are:
- Sibutramine hydrochloride monohydrate
Only a doctor can tell what the most appropriate medicine for your case as well as the correct dosage and duration of treatment. Always follow strictly the guidelines of your doctor and NEVER automedique. Do not stop the drug without consulting a doctor before and, taking it more than once or in much larger quantities than prescribed, follow the instructions on the label.DO NOT STOP NOW ... YOU ARE AFTER THAT ADVERTISING;)
People with obesity are more likely to develop diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, breathing difficulties, gout, gallstones and even some forms of cancer.
Living / Prognosis
- Do not dispose of the obesity treatment hopes only in medicine or surgery, because the outcome depends mainly on changes in lifestyle (diet and physical activity)
- Over time the drug for obesity can go to lose the effect. If this occurs, consult your physician and never increase the dose on their own
- There are many irregular advertisements for weight-loss drugs in the media, so do not believe promises quick weight loss and easy
- Do not buy drugs for obesity on the Internet or in gyms, as many are not authorized by the Ministry of Health and can harm those who use
- Clinics and can not sell drugs for obesity. The patient has the freedom to choose the pharmacy you trust to buy or manipulate the prescribed medicine
- weight loss formulas with various mixed substances are banned by the Ministry of Health and have already caused deaths.
There is no magic! To keep the weight within desirable values and control obesity, the best option is to have a balanced diet and physical activities regularly.DO NOT STOP NOW ... YOU ARE AFTER THAT ADVERTISING;)
- Brazilian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Brazilian Association of Nutrition
obesity on questions
- Heredity may influence obesity?
- According to psychology, the cause of obesity?
Sources and references
- Ministry of Health